- What's new
- Who we are
- What we do
- 4-H & Climate Change
- Science in Everyday Living
- Scientist in YOU
- Engineering, Robotics & 4-H
The 4-H program is improving science technology, engineering and math (STEM) education in New Jersey. By combining non-formal education with hands-on inquiry-based learning in a youth development context, 4-H is responding to our nation's concern for improving human capacity and workforce abilities in STEM areas. Read more about the national perspective on 4-H Science
4-H is providing quality in- and out-of-school programs focused on positive youth development.
We concentrate on:
- Making Science fun – 4-H programs are focused on learning by observation and experience, through activities youth enjoy.
- Seeing science in everyday life – we will help youth understand and apply science skills in everyday activities and events.
- Asking questions – 4-H SET is a resource for becoming an engaged citizen in a democratic society resolving critical issues.
- Getting excited about science– we engage youth in the science happening in universities, government, and industry and open their minds to potential careers in science.
Climate change with its forecasts of melting ice caps and the extinction of our planets species can be emotionally overwhelming. NJ 4-H equips youth with both scientific knowledge and the life skills required to improve their understanding of the science of climate change and the skills to apply this knowledge wisely in their personal life and in their role as active citizens. See the resources page for more information and links.
Science in Everyday Living
In everyday life, we take a lot of everyday things for granted. Driving our cars, running the dishwasher, watching television, using computers, baking a cake, playing our favorite sport, and flipping light switches on and off. We do these as routinely and seldom take time to think about the everyday science that make these things happen.
In 4-H, we are working on a suite of programs designed to help you encourage youth to wonder and reflect on the science in everyday life.
Rutgerscience Saturdays: Find the Scientist in YOU!
Join us for our 4-H Rutgerscience Saturday program s focused on introducing middle and high school students to perspective science careers by university faculty and staff on the Rutgers University campuses.
4-H leaders, interested volunteers and parents are invited to bring students to meet and interact with scientists. Students are provided experiments to take home and are invited to attend follow up sessions on the internet.
Engineering, Robotics & 4-H
Design It!, is an engaging, inquiry based, and fun STEM program designed specifically for afterschool. 4-H hosts robotics clubs around the state that are involved in competitions and events to share knowledge and have fun.